Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

A site devoted entirely to documenting and publishing the accomplishments of our son, Zachary Colin, so that family and friends may keep up on his progress from afar.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Mama's Day



Mother's Day: Crap or Craptacular? The eternal question: Do we recognize that in a world of commerialism, materialism, and giftism, this holiday just subjugates us to mere pawns in their marketing game? Or do we embrace the celebration of motherhood, and reflect on all the mombo that our mama's (or selves, or wives -- whatever fits) endured to make us as exceptional as we are? I don't have any answers. I just know that I like the attention when it rolls around.

Jesse and I are NPR junkies (Amanda told me day before yesterday that Bill calls us her "NPR friends"; what does that MEAN?!) Over the weekend, I heard two deliciously personal, simple stories celebrating Mother's day. The first was about the songs our mothers sang to us. You have to listen to it - at least til you hear the guy singing a James Brown "lullaby". (My song to Zach is "Baby Mine", from Dumbo. My grandmother's song to my mother was Toora Loora Looral...)The second was about the food that our mama's offered us, and how it shapes our emotional response to certains foods. These stories were so sweet, I wanted to share them both with you. Anyone wanna share what they sing, or what was sang to them? How bout your favorite comfort food from mama's kitchen?

I don't know whether the right answer is to embrace or reject the holiday, but I know I surely enjoyed mine.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Keenans said...

My song for Rory is a horribly out of tune "You Are My Sunshine" (just the first verse). We may try out your Dumbo song - I love the lyrics. I for one loved Mother's Day. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but it was the one day I felt no guilt when I wanted to be a little lazy and let Sean take over : )
*I love NPR, too!

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love "Baby Mine." Bette Midler has a gorgeous version of it, on the Beaches soundtrack, I think. You might want to check it out.

Glad you had a great Mother's day.

--Brit

4:35 PM

 
Blogger ErinBW said...

I LOVED Mother's Day! I've learned it is one of the few holidays that I don't have to worry more about making someone else happy than myself.

What do we sing to BabyC? Hmmmm..."Mrs. Robinson," by Simon & Garfunkel because sometimes that is the ONLY thing that will calm her down. She is, however, becoming partial to Jack Johnson.

9:45 PM

 
Blogger The Stovalls said...

Chris does the singing around here. Frightening, I know. Usually he just changes to words to the most recent radio song he has heard. For instance, take the "you've been booted off of American Idol" song that goes "You've had a bad day, the camera don't lie . . ." He might change it to "You've had a bad pooh,the diaper don't lie . . ." Needless to say most of Chris' songs are about Aden stinking. Hmm. Good for the self-image. I don't know. But funny, I think so. Aden likes Chris' songs too.

9:57 PM

 
Blogger VDV Family said...

Wilken's favorite song at the moment is Splish Splash taking a Bath...all lyrics made up of course. We have revised my momm's Elanor You Ought to Know made up tune for Wilken Cooper as his oldest most well known tune. I loved being spoiled on mom's day. I felt very appreciated. Loved your blog. Written beautifully as usual.

11:38 AM

 
Blogger The Stovalls said...

Does your Mom still think it's MaMa's Day and she doesn't have to work, which includes blogging? Tell her VACATION IS OVER!!

10:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter
Free Counter