Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

A site devoted entirely to documenting and publishing the accomplishments of our son, Zachary Colin, so that family and friends may keep up on his progress from afar.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sensitive Zach


50 years ago, toys were prescribed by gender.

30 years ago, our parents tried to prove that we were just taught our gender roles through play and the toys we were given, and gave us toys for the opposite gender.

Now -- it's fashionable to just go with what the kid likes. Or at least that's my fashion. I've been lucky that Zach's favorites, in order of importance, are: Books, cats, cars, and clothes (have I mentioned that for 2 weeks straight he has been twirling every piece of cloth in sight? Perhaps we have a cowboy in the making...) These items were fairly obvious choices and easy to come by.

So I was a little surprised when he took an instant shine to an unattended doll stroller left at the park. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that it is a toy you can push (always a hit in the toddler crowd), but I thought I'd try something...

A new doll and stroller! The moment I took the doll out of the box, he took it and pressed his nose to it's nose (like he does with Sophie the cat), looking deeply into it's eyes. It was heartbreakingly precious. The doll has not really taken on a regular post in his play routine, but an occasional stroll through the house and kiss upon request seem to keep his dolly, and him, happy with their relationship. I love it. The stroller is a regular in the rotation, due to it's mechanical allure.

(It is unfortunate that these toys only come in pink, isn't it?)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Stovalls said...

Hmm. A stroller, what a good idea. Girly in that a doll goes in it, boyish in that it has wheels.

12:04 PM

 
Blogger New Orleans Work Team said...

The guy thing about pink is weird. After all, it's just another wave-length! At work I try to remember to refer to it as "light red". The men still look at me doubtfully.

7:22 PM

 
Blogger VDV Family said...

How did you teach Zach to be so loving to his little baby? I've seen how his wrestles his little kitty babies. We need some tips. Wilken is still attemping to either chew his new baby doll..pull it, or throw it. Arghh.

10:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter
Free Counter