Weighing in on gdiapers
So enthralled was I with Julie's commitment to the environment that I decided to follow her lead, and try out gdiapers. (That, and Aden's bum does look awfully cute in them.) I guess I didn't read her blog closely enough, or perhaps it was willful blindness, to the adjective 'gross'. Turns out she was right, and not in just a fastidious commitment to germfree cleanliness sort of way. (Anyone who is friends with Julie knows that your child is safe licking the floor, and probably even the rim of the toilet bowl, at Julie's house. She is a model for all mothers with children who are still in the oral stage.)

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing
Our box of goodies arrived 2 days ago. So pretty and inviting, in their lovely packaging. I wrapped his bum up like a burrito immediately. The poo followed shortly. I guess he was in a rush to test the goods, too. Tedious changing followed, but I chalked it up to first-timer syndrome. Then a second poo followed.
Both poos exceeded the boundaries of the 'pad' and got on the plastic liner. Ok, I guess. But poo number 2 also got on the cute cloth diaper. That would be ok too, if it was a one time occurance, but given the predictably viscous nature of his poos, I foresaw lots of laundry in my future. And a tremendous ass pain, which I am not fond of.
You see, not only do you disassemble 3 layers with each diaper change, you have to find way to transport it to the toilet without spilling, shred the poopy diaper without getting it on yourself or your floor, and then stir the entire toilet concoction with a magic wand. If you can get the contents down in one flush, good for you. And hopefully you keep your disinfectant near thw toilet so you can clean the wand, the toilet and perhaps even the floor afterwards. And THEN you can get back to the business of assembling the next 3 layers of diaper for your childs bum. Now you see the origin the ass pain.
That said, I still want to be a small, rather than large, contribitor to global landfills, given the rumored 500 year life span our Pampers Cruisers. So, 3 days into this mess, I am willing to commit to using gdiapers for poopoo free loads. Here's to hoping for great regularity and predictability!
****************
Jesse's update on gdiapers:
I can't decide what the 'g' stands for. Maybe it's "gee, these diapers are horrible." Or maybe, "gee, I wonder how long people will actually use these." But probably, "gee, no wonder you have to mail order these suckers." While Mer may be committed to using these, I'm cruising ahead with Cruisers. I wonder if anyone's done an actual environmental impact study: a bunch of non-degradable diapers vs. 2-3 toilet flushes per g-diaper; spraying down the poo-stick with a chemical; wiping that chemical off with more toilet paper; flushing that toilet paper; washing all the poo and chemical off your hands. No thankee.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing


9 Comments:
Just wondering how you are only going to use the g-diapers for poo free moments? Is Z that regular?
11:04 PM
hahaha. Don't ever doubt me again, Mere!! I told you I worked the pit crew during the g-diaper experiment! G stands for "Gotcha!" As in "thanks for dropping 40 bucks on these hippie diapers, sucka!!" -stovy
11:12 PM
4 days in, he has challenged everything I have come to learn about his regularity. He would chose NOW to switch it up. Perhaps if the gdiapers were a bit bigger, they could catch the explosions a little better.
p.s. I am totaly perplexed by all the raving parent testimonials online. Are they from Squalor Holler or am I just squeemish about poop?
11:47 AM
I'm so glad I waited - I was jumping on the hippie bandwagon when I saw these in the NY Times - but after reading these REAL testimonials, no thanks. Cruisers it is for us. Maybe I'll try to potty train Rory a few months earlier to do my part to save the planet from those evil disposables.
11:51 AM
I think we are out of the ballgame as well. Try Seventh Generation diapers on 1800 diapers.com. It looks like they are wearing a brown paper bag, but they are incredibly soft (they compete with Swaddlers) and stretchy. They are also made out of recyled materials and don't have the bad chemicals in them. They are just as absorbant as Pampers too. On 1800 diapers they are about the same as the store price of the cruisers. There's my plug.
4:13 PM
should there have been a warning on this blog for the squeamish nondiaper changers out there? oh wait, I'm the only one left...
4:25 PM
Hey, on another note, is Z holding the driver to that really cool car made by Tolo?! Rory's grandparents have it and she loves it!
10:33 PM
1. hey. go easy on the hippies. they're good people, maybe the best people.
2. i know a certain chemical engineer/microbiolist/attorney who could settle this once and for all.
3. what do the cats think about all this?
11:08 PM
I think Jess is correct on this one. Gee I think we'll pass.
8:51 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home